Can I reduce my child support payments due to less income?

Related Ads


I’m obligated to pay child support to my children’s mother, but I want to go back to college part time and as a result, my work hours and this would reduce salary.  Is this a valid reason to ask to adjust child support?


Maybe, but most courts probably won’t grant it, because the thinking is that the bulk of the child support obligation shouldn’t be placed upon one parent because the other chooses to attend school.  You could try asking your child’s mother if she will agree to a reduction of your obligation because of the anticipated reduction in your salary and the expected greater earning power you will have once your education is completed, but unless she is in agreement, the court will more than likely expect you to continue to make your current payments.  For more information, consult with an attorney experienced in family law and child support issues.